Some history of Castello di Fiemme:
The village dates back to ancient times: in fact, there are traces of prehistoric, proto-historic and Roman settlements; traces of a late Roman barbarian necropolis of VI-VII centuries AD have been found as well.
The castle, lying in a place visible from most of the low and medium part of the valley, was held by the ministry clerks Enn-Caldiff belonging to the counts of Appiano.
In 1296 it was occupied and set on fire by the valley dwellers, who obliged the count of Tirol Henry to promise not to build the fortress again.
From a jurisdictional point of view the county of Castello was aggregated to the Comunitr di Fiemme in the first half of the XIV century, when the exchange with Levico, Grumes, Termeno and Trodena took place.
It does worth to admire the massive rustic mansions with their outer stairs and the small effigy of the Madonna frescoed on the fašade.
In the village the wood industry and the wood craftsmanship are well developed.
St. George's church
This church was build between 1850 and 1856 on the hill overlooking the village; it was consecrated in 1864 and restored in 1925.
It stands right on the ancient Eppan's castle place.
Its bell tower dates back to 1907 and the wooden leaves of the main portal were carved by Tita Pederiva.
On the parvis there is a gravestone dating back to 1694.
The inner space is divided in a nave and two aisles.
The big altar piece hung on the choir was painted by Carlo Vanzo (1866), who also made the paintings of the Via Crucis.
Both the side altars present other pieces by the local school.
The altar piece on the right represents the church of Castello and the old bell tower.
In the right apse we can admire a painting representing the Last Supper, a copy of the work by M. Unterperger, and facing it we can notice a painting representing the Supper at Emmaus dating back to 1880.
The marble baptismal font dates back to 1857 and the organ (by Bros. Rieger from Jńgerndorf) to 1900.
It does worth to notice the painting on the right of the triumphal arch representing St. George and Christ communicating the apostles by Antonio Longo belonging to the local school.
The paintings represented in semicircle in the aisles were made by Massimo Diodato (1846-1924).
The frescoed vaults were painted by F. Giustiniani (1925). On the right of the triumphal arch we can admire a wooden sculpture of St. George made by Rudy Printh.
A number of canvas and gonfalons by Longo are held in the sacristy and the parsonage.